We all see it.
More money being spent, more money being asked for in bond measures, and more money taken with taxes.
Massive federal mandates are being imposed on our local schools because school districts accepted federal money with little or no time to understand what strings are attached.
And boy oh boy, are there strings attached!
School districts across the country were coerced with waivers for No Child Left Behind and federal Race to the Top grants from stimulus money that are dictating adherence to Common Core State Standards. These standards will:
- Mandate nationalized testing
- Implement data tracking that is a flagrant violation of privacy
- Impose one-size-fits-all benchmarks that will drive classroom curriculum
- Require an official observer to be present in the classroom
- Discourage parental participation in their child’s education
As a School Board Director, I will ask questions, dig deep, and listen to the needs of Salem-Keizer students, parents, teachers, and staff. I will demand answers from the status quo that is all to often just a rubber stamp. I am running for school board because I believe that Salem-Keizer schools need balanced, sensible leadership.